We have been anxiously awaiting the announcement of the official 2018 Scheepjes CAL and a little teaser was released late last week!
Here’s what we know so far:
- Designed by the brilliant Dedri Uys who designed the famous Sophie’s Universe
- Dedri has shared her inspiration behind the name of the CAL: “The word Ubuntu in a Nguni Bantu term meaning “humanity towards others” or “I am because we are”. Through Crochet-alongs, [she has] found a community that constantly reminds [her] of the essence of Ubuntu: connection, community, and mutual caring for all. We wanted to honour and celebrate that in this CAL, both in the design and how we choose to engage with each other as we embark on this journey.” Isn’t that a beautiful statement?!?
- Videos and tutorials will be available to make this dream a reality for all levels of crocheter
- There will be a huge amount of support through the international Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/ScheepjesCAL.International
- Kits will be available for pre-order right here as soon as the details are released
- More details will be released THIS week!
Stay tuned to pre-order your CAL kit and follow our Facebook group for announcements as they become available!
Not only will we be stocking the CAL kits, but we have also ordered in some of the most popular Scheepjes whirls and whirlettes. Scheepjes Whirls are 1,000 metres of soft, drapey cotton/acrylic blend and have taken the crochet and knitting world by storm. The Whirlettes are 100g of co-ordinating solid colour to complement your Whirls. If you need a bit of inspiration, check out Katie’s blog with the top ten whirl projects. There are also many lovely projects to be found on Ravelry. I have completed three projects with whirls:
- Crochet – Lost in Time Shawl by Miho Crochet (Link)
- Knit – Read Between the Lines by Canadutch (link)
- Knit – Hitofude Cardigan by Hiroko Fukatsu (link)
I’m about to embark on my fourth project crocheting with Blueberry Bam Bam to make the Indigo Shrug by Tatsiana Kupryianchyk (link).
Now, I don’t know if you’re like me and like to have pretty needle and hook sets but I suspect some of you are. To get you crocheting comfortably, we have also started stocking the Tulip Etimo Royal Silver Crochet Hook Set. If you haven’t treated yourself to some ergonomic hooks yet, here’s your chance. They are not only beautiful but allow for hours of comfortable crocheting. The Tulip sets are currently available for pre-order along with the Whirls and Whirlettes.
~ Monika ~